Asheville offers some memorable vacation experiences. The mountain scenery and cool summer temperatures are simply icing on the cake because the Western North Carolina region offers so many things to do. Your options include sightseeing, hiking and ziplining.
The North Carolina Arboretum, located just south of Asheville, provides well-groomed trails and beautiful gardens of native species. Educational programs, seasonal events, biking trails, photography, winter lights and garden exhibits make your visit worthwhile as you commune with nature. Other enticements include:
- Art exhibits
- A gift shop
- A Bonsai tree exhibit
- An on-site bistro
What Are Some Specific Features of the Arboretum?
This park sits within the Pisgah National Forest. It features easy hiking paths that include Bent Creek Road, Old Mill Trail and Wolf Branch Road, all of which are shorter than 1.5 miles. The Arboretum also has tougher hiking trails if you’re up for it. You can also find biking trails of various levels of difficulty.
ArborEvenings, a weekly event, includes live music, performances by numerous regional and local artists, and delicious food. It’s free for Arboretum Society members and for visitors who pay the standard parking fee. The parking fee runs from $16 for a passenger car to $100 for a large bus. Except for certain events, there’s no extra entrance fee to visit the Arboretum. Parking discounts include:
- AAA members receive $1 off personal vehicle parking.
- Members of the American Horticultural Society Reciprocal Admissions Program can park for free.
- Buncombe County and Henderson County Library ZOOM pass holders receive free parking.
- Active/retired veterans park for free on Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day.
- On the first Tuesday of every month, the Arboretum offers a 50 percent discount on personal vehicle parking.
What Else Does the NC Arboretum Offer?
The NC Arboretum has 65 acres of maintained gardens to delight your senses. Wildflowers at the Arboretum and Bonsai Exhibition Garden always attract a crowd. The gift shops, educational sessions and guided programs offer something for every nature lover.
The Arboretum sits within the Bent Creek Experimental Forest, also part of the Pisgah National Forest. The nearby Bent Creek area is 6,000 acres of recreational forest that doubles as a research center. Broaden your nature experience in Western North Carolina with a visit to Bent Creek for:
- Hiking, biking and horseback riding are only permitted on established pathways within the forest’s boundaries
- Hunting and fishing, but only with the precautionary and necessary measures
- Camping and swimming in the Lake Powhatan Recreation Area, located in the heart of the Bent Creek Experimental Forest
Why Choose Inspired Getaway in Western North Carolina?
Inspired Getaway has concierge services for short-term vacation rental properties. Bringing together the best quality rental properties into one easy-to-access and easy-to-rent website, Inspired Getaway provides an exclusive experience and discounts for guests. The company includes rentals near Asheville and the Arboretum, making you feel at home with:
- Renter benefits
- Individualized services
- A memorable guest experience
Whatever your reason for visiting Western North Carolina, Inspired Getaway properties suit your budget and taste. They help you find the perfect vacation home, from a rustic cabin to a luxurious downtown condo. For an experience of a lifetime, contact Inspired Getaway.